Tuesday, January 26, 2016

How to Plan a Budget Filipino Wedding 101

So we decided on a PhP 250,000.00 (approximately $5,200.00) for our wedding.

For non-married, non-engaged people, let me clarify this to you: that amount is NOWHERE NEAR the usual expense to get married in Metro Manila. The wedding industry silently brainwashed Filipinos to want a big wedding. Vanity played a big role, I suppose. Since the advent of SDE's (Same-Day Edited Video) as a norm in every weddings, people seemed to want to see their faces digitally immortalized in a glammed-up fashion in one of the best days of their lives. Nothing wrong with wanting that. I think its the PRESSURE to conform to the "norm" is what's wrong with that even-- especially if you can't afford it. Even just marginally wrong. :) Cliche is true: "It's about the MARRIAGE, not the WEDDING".

Anyhow, to detail it further, let me breakdown the usual suspects:
1. Reception:

  • This comprises approximately 50% of the total Wedding Expenses. 
  • Since weddings are actually celebrations, believe it or not, you actually have to feed them. Hahaha. It's probably the most expensive party you have to throw, in like, ever! The cost of food is usually Php 700-1000 per plate. So for 150 people, that's Php 105,000 to 150,000 already. Some venues have their own caterers and may or may not charge for the venue. Some caterers don't have own venues so you have to look for a separate venue who will charge you separately. Kaching.
  • There are alternatives, though (In another post. Don't want to flood you too much). And you can scout for reception packages with loads of freebies (like we did). 

2. Church:

  • It really makes me wonder why Churches charge so much for people to get married. Why not lower the cost down and prevent couples who can't afford the whole wedding shebang from living out of wedlock? Anyway. Pft.
  • Php 5,000 to Php 35,000. Depending on the church area, and the state of air-conditioning. Rule of thumb - the bigger and more beautiful the church, the more expensive.
  • Average rate: Php 15,0000 to 20,000.
  • Churches set the mood for the whole day. Say, you settle for a non-air-conditioned church - you'd have to factor that in when deciding the entourage and the couple's attire. A proper warning to your guest to bring their own fans, or if you're kind enough to provide your guests with fans will be appreciated.
  • The interiors of the church is also a factor to consider in the motif and over-all theme of your wedding. 
  • Image of San Agustin Church from New World Encyclopedia
  • For example: A Baroque church might suit a more formal wedding theme and motif for the entourage and reception.
  • The church and reception should be within each other's vicinity for everybody's convenience. 


3. Photography

  • For us, this one is up there in terms of budget priority. We are photography enthusiasts back in our college days, so seeing poorly lit and focused photos by "professionals" who charge Php 20,000 to 40,000 just makes us so sad  and pray to God it won't happen to us.
  • We originally decided to opt for another photographer (let's call them Studio B) who had a cheaper complete package who had acceptable pictures in their website. It suited our budget well, relieving us of pressure from payment schedules. HOWEVER, when I again reviewed and compared Studio B's to Studio A (my first love photographer)... and my boyfriend saw the pictures of a friend's wedding that were subpar from our expectations (take note: OUR, not theirs :)), we paid Studio A's downpayment within the same day. The point is: we did not want to regret the choice of our photographer after the wedding when we can't do anything. Photography, for us, is worth spending on.
  • A good photographer can make your church look good. A bad photographer can make your Php100,000 wedding dress look like trash. A good photographer can make your squad look good even using the street as background. A bad photographer can ignore the hotel details you nitpickingly chose for to be your preps venue. 


4. Video coverage

  • I'm not totally decided on this. However, if someone voluntereed to pay for this I'd take it -- for completion purposes. In all honesty, I've been in weddings where the guests felt so distant to the couple because the videocameras isolated them from us. I shudder at the idea of that. So in the event that we get a videographer, we will have a long conversation with them regarding that.
  • Also, I'm not very comfortable with the idea that they upload their SDE's on their websites and Youtube for promotion.


5. Wedding Dress

  • From Divisoria to International sources, there are a wide variety of wedding gowns and prices.
  • To as low as Kitchie Nadal's Php 799 white dress to Divisoria gowns (Php 5,000 to 10,000) to mid range designers (Php 20-80,000) to high end designers (Php 80,000 to infinity)
  • Plus shoes plus lingerie plus accessories.

6. Entourage Dress

  • Again this varies greatly.
  • Some brides ask their entourage to supply their own dresses. Some gives them the fabric for uniformity. Some opt for ready to wear gowns. Some pay for everything.

7. Groom's Suit/Barong

  • Php 5,000 to 20,000. No effin' idea about this. Haha.


8. Prep's Venue

  • Hotels around the city costs Php 3,000 to 15,000. Its important because the photography and video coverage starts here. The preps venue of the groom and bride should be near each other. Home is another option.

9. Wedding Coordinator

  • On-the-day Coodinator is the current trend now. Costing Php 15,000 to 25,000. This may be a small price to pay for a stress-free wedding. Other coordinators also offer freebies to their advantages. Reading reviews and forums on these will help you decide and overlook nightmare coordinators.

10. Hair and Make-up

  • A great option is to have yourself or a friend who know your face well do your make-up. This is a scary concept for me because I have borderline hooded eyes, fair skin, with blue undertones. I have full thick lips which means light and striking lipstick will quickly pull focus to my lips. I have chubby cheeks so I need good contouring.
  • When my sister got married, she did her own make-up because she is AMAZING. She did her make-up quite wonderfully. Lots of complement. She also tried to do her maid-of-honor's make-up, but she failed miserably! Even her other friends who did their make-up's just cannot fix my face. :) I went to trial make-up's in several bridal fairs, even trying high-end make-up artists and I did not like my face after the "transformation".
  • My tip is to decide on how you want to look as a bride be searching for bridal pegs in Pinterest.

11. Music

  • A string quartet can easily be overlooked by your guests. Especially if you'll do all your traditions during the reception and overwhelm their attention with your jam-packed programme. 
  • However, if music really matters to you, String Quartets can coast up to Php 50,000.


12. Stationary

  • Php 30-70 pesos per invite. Did not really research on this because we plan to make our own. Its our vice in college up until my Internal Medicine Residency. There was no question we'd do our invitations on our own. I'd keep you posted how much we spend on them.

13. Wedding Favors

  • Php 30-infinity. Depends on how you love your guests. But surprise! It's really optional. They won't even look for it.


14. Flowers

  • Php 5,000 to up to 20,000 depending on the extend of fauna you want.

15. Events Styling

  • I did not even research on this because I did not plan on spending on the extra spruce of the wedding venue. Plus, I'm such a DIY girl, I'd be stealing my own fun if I hire a styler.

This is an interesting read from Huffington Post:


We re-computed our budget and have an extra Php 15,000.00 to spare. Although, we will still probably use the money for other matters the dark side still clouds from our vision /starwars.

That's it for now. More posts coming from the Budget Bride. :)

6 comments:

  1. Very nice post!! Thanks my friend for sharing wonderful photos and this video. I am also trying to make a budget plan for my wedding. I don’t want to spend my money on a destination wedding as I don’t have high budget; that is why I am finding the local NYC wedding venues that are available on affordable prices. Can anyone of you help me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! :)
      Unfortunately, I can't help you with your query since I am Philippines-based and know nothing of budget wedding venues here. There are plenty of recommendations in the internet, though.
      I have read that Libraries offer their space as venues. If we had our way (no Philippine library offer that), we'd go down that route. ;)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I found this post and It's really interesting. I really love that Filipino is always winner when it comes on a budget "praktikal". This is a nice post. Just want to share my site Wedding Catering Manila

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far so good i give thanks to Dr.Ogudugu for great work he did for me during my time of distress, And i have never seen anything that works so fast and so effective like the spell that Dr.Ogudugu cast on my lover which brought my lover back to me. Here is Dr.Ogudugu details: greatogudugu@gmail.com or WhatsApp No: +2348139793075 for further inquiry and assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also try to visit wedding expos to have ideas for the suppliers prices and to get inspiration too. That's one we did when we are planning for our wedding.

    ReplyDelete